A day in the life of...

...the inner rumblings.

Thursday, December 11, 2008

come here, I want to kiss you...

who posted? Kristine |

I've never seen a couple, so in love, so aware of eachother, so deeply caring for eachother.

as I mentioned in my last post, grandpa isn't doing well. he's been in bed the last two days, not eating, throwing up and with very high blood pressure.

this evening, he asked for dad, so dad went in and sat on his bed. he started telling him where his leftover change was, and just last minute details that seemed as if he was "wrapping things up." grandma was in the living room, so I asked her if she'd like to go in the bedroom to be with grandpa. I told her he had just told dad he felt like he was doing worse and worse. so, she wanted to go. we walked in, and I walked her close to his bed. he smiled and reached for her hand. she took his hand and said, "how are you feeling?" he replied with tears and said, "I think this is my last night." she turned to me and said, "I can't hear him, what did he say?" I, through my tears and holding her, said, "he told you he thinks this is his lastnight." she started to cry and said, "he did?" and then turned back to him and said, "I miss you." he pulled at her hand and said, "come here, I want to kiss you." we helped her walk close to the bed and she sat on the side of the bed and held him and cried while he kissed her goodbye.

he wanted to make sure she had dinner, and asked a few times, "did you have your dinner? what did you have? did you have soup?"

I got her ready for bed and put her in her hospital bed, facing grandpa, moved everything out of the way so she had a clear line of site to him.

she loves him. he loves her. more than anything in the world, I want my life to be as full as theirs has been.

2 responses:

NomadatHeart said...

It makes me cry, but it's so true. They've been in love for forever. I remember them walking hand-in-hand to the garden to check on their plants. May Jesus receive all the honor due His name. . .

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this, Kris. It's a special gift to have these windows into what's happening while so far away. I, too, cried with the girls at my side. They asked why I was sad, but how wonderful to be able to talk with them about these humble people who have lived their youth _and_ grown old so well. I treasure, too, those times when I saw their affection for each other--the time Grandpa subtly patted Grandma's posterior while they were doing dishes together. I'm grateful for the ways you and your family have carried the load of their care in these last years. Jason

Subscribe