A day in the life of...

...the inner rumblings.

Friday, December 05, 2008

I've moved, now what?

who posted? Kristine |

turns out Ohio isn't all that bad! and the nursing home? also isn't that bad! :) especially when its home to people you particularly love. and, grandpa and grandma showalter happen to be two of those residents I love. a lot.

I've wondered how the change of pace and transition from "busy" to "slow" would go...and I'm pleased to report its going quite well! I sit and wonder, and chuckle at times, at just how different my life has become these days. and, how quickly that change has taken place. I went from watching policies changing, participating in Lt. Governor staff duties, management, writing, etc. from singing on the worship team once or twice a month, going for coffee with girlfriends, taking trips back and forth from dreary Juneau...to simply watching the snow fall. these days, we sit and laugh as Jimi finds his way up on to grandma's lap. we watch the stray dogs wander around the pond, not realizing their fate as dad races for his .22. we notice the temperatures rising and falling, and remark at how quickly its gotten cold. we watch the pond freeze over and estimate how soon we'll be able to walk on it. and, we watch national geographic videos...sometimes. its quiet, very quiet. this Monday, the average age was 78. grandpa's three sisters came to visit for his 90th birthday party and what a riot! the aunts are hilarious! they tell stories, they whistle and hum at the same time, they are easily amused with Jimi skidding across the kitchen floor as they toss his toys. they're a good time!

transition is good. change is good. new perspective and fresh scenery is good, very good. and, my heart is good. its resting. its soaking. I'm still not fully sure of the reason or the purpose of these changes and transitions, but I'm embracing and enjoying them as fully as I can. each day holds simple, little things that bring joy to my heart. its amazing the things you notice when you really just let everything slow to a crawl. I don't think I really knew it was possible! I love action, I love intentional pursuits, I love focused, intense projects, I love busy, I love crowds, I love travel, I love new things, I love goals, I love organization, I love structure and schedule...but, its good to rest too, very good.

1 responses:

Crystal said...

wow...i had no idea that you were moving! i've been out of the loop...maybe you posted it on facebook and i just missed it! ...so, is this a permanent thing?

Subscribe