A day in the life of...

...the inner rumblings.

Saturday, April 12, 2008

the 89th day, and smoke.

who posted? Kristine |




its raining...again, or is it more appropriate to say, "still?" we'll go with still.

its the 2nd to last day of session and I'm at the office. on a Saturday. its what we call "normal."

my day started around 7:43am, by hitting snooze about 7 times before finally rolling over and making a rather feeble attempt to get out of my warm, cozy bed. Saturday's are not for getting up on. they are for lounging. in my sweats. not in work clothes.

I pulled up to Renee's by 9:03am, one 20oz, skinny Chai Latte and one 20oz, skinny white mocha w/ caramel, in hand. let the day begin.

and, I had snacks in my bag. yogurt, a bagel with strawberry cream cheese and an orange. I was set. I can do this. I can make it through this day.

I get my personal laptop all set up at my desk and head to the break room to toast my bagel.

1st MISTAKE OF THE DAY! don't go to the break room, Kris, don't do it.

the building is full, the law makers, lobbyist and staff are here. the Governor is on her way in, the Chief of Staff is hard at work, ensuring her bills will get through the Senate floor today at 11. its going to be a busy day. committees are meeting, decisions are being made. rumor has it the Legislature will be done today instead of tomorrow. we'll see. no one's holding their breath. this is our first 90 day session, down from 120, can they finish on time or will we have to call a special session? the question looms. the energy is thick, emotions running thin, adrenaline is what is keeping everyone on their toes. no one's had much sleep this week. and the rain continues to fall.

the bagel goes into the toaster, I go back to my desk to start up my computer. a few minutes later, I check on it and its barely toasted. change the settings, start it again. back to work. 4 minutes later, check on it again. this time, aw shucks, its too dark. I pop it up and debate whether or not I care to eat a half burnt bagel.

then. it happened. MISTAKE #1 comes to life.

the fire alarm starts whirling, screaming, mocking. get out! get out, quick!

"what? are we doing a drill? why would they do a drill right now? its Saturday. its the 2nd to last day of the Legislative session. we're busy here, can't you see? we dont have time for this....

(long pause in my head...)

...ohhhh. oh no. OH NO!!!! its me. I did it. I made the alarm go off. STUPID BAGEL!! I just burned a bagel and the fire alarm is going off. I JUST MADE THE FIRE ALARM GO OFF ON THE 2ND TO LAST DAY OF SESSION, IN THE CAPITOL BUILDING OF THE STATE OF ALASKA!!! Legislators, lobbyists, staff..."

I didn't know what to do. who to call, how to make it stop. I quick propped the door to the outside stairway open and ran down the hall to the Governor's security detail, Tom. "Tom! Tom! I think it was me, I think it was me!" ...I said in a hushed tone. Tom ran with me back down the hall, asked what I had burned and said, "yep, I think it was you." He got on the phone, called building security, who alerted the fire department, who by the way, was on their way with a fire truck and an ambulance. Why would you send an ambulance? To carry me away to lock me in the padded, white room? probably.

I walked to the window and then quickly walked away. Legislators, lobbyist, staff, visitors...all standing out in the parking lot, in the rain, with faces of disgust and confusion, looking up at my office window. I couldn't look at them. they would all know shortly it was me who caused them to have to be uprooted from their coffee and computer to run down the stairs, in the rain, at the threat of the State Capitol burning to the ground. it was me, who brought the Senate Finance Committee meeting to a halt, as they were about to make a decision on whether or not to increase the Business License fee. it was me. that one girl in the Lt. Governor's office. on the third floor. it was her. 



its the 89th day. and there was smoke.

6 responses:

Mackenzie said...

Question the first- was your coffee from Heritage?
Question the second- do you realize what power you hold in your hands?! You, singlehandedly, caused more to happen today than probably any other in the entire Legislative assembly can boast.

You're almost done! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

oh man. so funny. :)

good job, deputy.

Kimberly Israel said...

Way to call our legislature to immediate action!!! Bravo, my friend!!!

NomadatHeart said...

Oh honey. I'm so glad I was the first to know. Was the rest of the day any good?? Love you!!! PS You're awesome!!

NomadatHeart said...

Wait. I thought you were going to post pictures.

Anonymous said...

i really enjoyed reading this...much more than i would have enjoyed being you...so now i feel guilty. :)

i'm very happy that you're blogging. i have a feeling that our lives really couldn't be much more different, and i love peeking into other people's "different" lives.

Subscribe